Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Update (sorry I was really tired)








I have been trying to find the energy to update since I got home from the Hospital. What I have been doing instead. SLEEPING. Popping Tylenol #3's. LOL

I will try to make this a cliff notes version because it was so horrible, I could type for days.

I went in at 0800 for my shot. That was quick and painless. Then I had to go to the family waiting room, fill out some paperwork and wait for them to call me. What both my husband and I noticed there is the people waiting in that room really have no idea how to behave. Half the room was talking and laughing very loud. The other half was climbing behind couches and chairs in order to plug in their laptops so that they could do their "all important can't miss an hour of two of work no matter who is having surgery" work. LOL. I was more pissed about the noise level of the room. Patients are mixed in with the families people. When I am nervous, I don't want to hear 100 different personal conversations. I want peace and quiet. Shouldn't these people waiting here do so quietly while they are nervously waiting for news about their loved ones? I think it should be enforced by the ladies who run the room. Quiet talking, reading, watching TV. Not shouting, yelling, laughing really loud. (see how I went off there? lol)

So right when I asked how long it would be so Tim and I could take a walk and get away from the noise they called me in back.

A nursing student and a resident along with a nurse asked me the same questions that were on the paperwork that I just filled out. They started my IV and we waited for the anesthesiologist to come talk to me. We waited, and waited and waited. They paged him and paged him and paged him. Come to find out he was waiting in the hallway outside the operating room with a bunch of students and I would talk to him as I rolled past. At 10:30 I remember him asking me if I had any questions, I remember him saying they were giving me something to relax, and then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ I don't remember anything until I woke up pissed off and in a lot of pain at 4:00. I was in recovery, and my nurse was a bitch. It was loud as hell in there with nurses and workers laughing and joking. I wonder if they realize how hard it is to wake up and concentrate when there is so much unnecessary noise in the background. Guess they don't. So here is where the story could get really long but I won't let it. I yelled at my nurse. Told her I wanted to talk to the Doc or my husband that they were treating me like crap. (waited an hour for the bedpan (twice) and got ice chips 2X's in 5 hours) Had no idea what happened in surgery, and wanted to know. They got my husband on the phone and I told him, make them take me to my room, or take me home. NOW. After I yelled at my nurse she ignored me for 2 hours. All total I was in recovery for 5 hours. They couldn't seem to find me my bed. Ya know the one I reserved 2 weeks prior? Man was I pissed. When you feel like crap you don't want to be in a room with 20 other people who feel like crap. You want your own room.
We got the nurses name and will be writing a nasty letter to the President of the hospital as soon as I feel better.

What happened during surgery? No idea. The doctor told Tim he took some tissue from the left side of my neck and my levels didn't go anywhere. Then he took some tissue from the right side and my TSH went down 50%. I guess there was a ton of scar tissue and it was pretty ugly in there. I don't know if I am down to 2 parathyroids or not. I guess I will find out at my re-check. The Doc said he wasn't happy with the results. He was hoping it would be a little more obvious where the problem was. I guess he mentioned something to Tim about if he had to go in again he would go thru my femoral arteries? Uh Hello? Those are in your legs? No way Jose!

So that's it. Yesterday was the first day I only took some pain pills late in the day. I thought it was a good idea to walk to school with McKenna to pick up Jack. It's only 3 blocks but it was 80 degrees and I guess not so smart after just having surgery. Even McKenna who wanted to walk decided that we should drive home once we got there. LOL. She was pissed when I told her that I didn't have a car there and we would have to walk home. We were all sweaty and tired once we got back home.

It's hard for me to sleep because I can't get comfortable. So I am awake most of the time but I am tired. Go figure. Eventually I will get tired enough that I will be able to sleep and comfort won't matter. LOL

I will be off work til the middle of June. I am going to DC for Police Week on Sunday if I feel well enough and will be back on the 16th.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mommies out there!!!!

See ya!

Marikay

2 comments:

Radioactivegirl said...

Ok the one without the bandage is BEFORE. LOL

Tuesday Girl said...

that is terrible the way the treated you in the hospital!

Maybe you can take a sleeping pill to help you?

Your scar looks great.